Readily sold at nurseries and local markets, these colourful plants spread easily by seed and fragments. Active management in gardens is required to minimise the spread.
- Family Tropaeolaceae
- Origin South America
- Habit Quick growing, soft sprawling succulent annual herb. Tolerates a wide range of soil conditions but prefers full sun.
- Leaves Broad circular leaves are arranged spirally around stem supported by long stalks joined at the centre of the leaf. Leaves and stems are soft and fleshy.
- Flowers Large five-petalled funnel-formed flowers in shades of yellow red and orange. Spring–autumn
- Fruit Green and succulent, 10 mm long.
- Roots Fibrous and succulent.
- Dispersal Seed and vegetation is spread by water, humans, contaminated soil (earthmoving equipment, car tyres etc) and garden refuse dumping.
- Control Hand pull/dig bagging all plant parts and removing from site, Foliar spray.
Back to Ground Covers
Bookmark the permalink.