Often in alkaline, sandy or well drained soil in Winter rainfall areas. Seed very resilient in soil.
- Family Asphodelaceae
- Origin Mediterranean
- Habit Annual, Bi-ennial or short lived perennial herb with rigid hollow stems that form a large onion like tuft to growing to 75 cm.
- Leaves Hollow onion-like leaves to 30 cm
- Flowers In Spring are white or very pale pink, 1.5 – 2 cm and grow alternately along the stem. They have a longitudinal strip of brown to red purple and close at night or in low light
- Fruit A rounded capsule divided into 3 segments each with 1-2 seeds
- Roots Not a true onion, does not have a bulb, but tuber like parts as base of stem
- Dispersal Seeds spread on vehiclesm machinery, animals, clothing, running water
- Control Hand pull small infestations. For larger infestations spray with registered herbicide.
Reported to cause dermatitis.
Back to Herbs
Bookmark the permalink.