Tree of Heaven
A hardy plant with a deep root system, forms dense thickets, destroys biodiversity.
- Family Simaroubaceae
- Origin China
- Habit Deciduous suckering shrub or tree to 15m.
- Leaves 9-21 opposite pairs of strongly veined, ovate leaflets with a smaller leaf at the tip. Leaflets have a conspicuous gland that produces an unpleasant smell when crushed.
- Flowers Male and female flowers appear in clusters on separate plants in summer.
- Fruit Seeds are covered in a flattened wing, green turning reddish.
- Roots Deep tap roots, a maze of lateral roots.
- Dispersal Seed and suckers. Once planted around rural buildings.
- Control Scrape and paint stems. Drill trunks of larger specimens.
Back to Tree Weeds
Bookmark the permalink.